Interesting info on one of our churches in Holy Family Parish!
This postcard shows the original St. Joachim’s Catholic Church on Broadway in Rockport. It was built in 1856 and stood until 1947, when it was razed to make room for construction of the larger church that now stands on the site. A 1947 newspaper article described it as the “church quarry men built,” a reference to the Irish immigrants who came to Rockport starting as early as 1830 to work in the quarries and who gave the town its first population of Catholics.
Starting in 1850, the number of the town’s Catholics had grown large enough that a priest from Salem would visit Rockport and say mass in local halls and homes. The church was built in 1856 as a one-story building level with the ground. It cost $3,000 to build. Twenty-five years later, the church was raised six feet, its roof was slanted, a new altar was installed, and…
View original post 157 more words