A fireplace, and bacon


fireplaceThe title isn’t just the perfect juxtaposition of two perfect things to grab your attention. Nor does it mean I am eating bacon by the fireside.  I just want to pass along a nice tip.  Do you have a fireplace? If you cook bacon in your microwave on top of paper towels (as is often recommended, to absorb grease), hold on to those greasy paper towels in a ziplock bag. Then, when you want to light a fire, use them as part of your kindling – or throw them in after the fire is started, just for fun.  With all that pork fat, they burn really well, and give off a little bit of an extra bacony scent too! I just tried it for the first time, but I’ll do it again for sure!

Now, if only I had the fixings for S’more’s…

 

About these ads

About Matthew Green

I am an origami artist and photographer (and teacher of both), a blogger, a freelance translator, former philosophy professor, and I love to sing. You can see my photos on Flickr and buy prints of some of them on Fine Art America. You can find me on Instagram, Twitter (@mehjg), and in various and sundry other social media sites on the web.
This entry was posted in Science and Nature and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A fireplace, and bacon

  1. Gail Green says:

    Smoked bacon flavored s’mores…. hmmm. Since grease can flash fire suddenly, I would say stick to more conventional fire starting methods, like, umm, whale oil.. Think of that fragrance!

    • Flash fire? Fireworks! Cool! Really, though, I don’t think there’s that much grease in the paper towels (and there aren’t that many paper towels), and I wouldn’t do this with my face near the fire. The paper towels should be placed well inside the fireplace. So, I don’t think there’s really any danger.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s